Monday, September 12, 2005

Suggestions

Here are some ideas about how to improve the workplace, as requested earlier. (This is not a comprehensive list and may be added on to as we see fit to).


  • Our computers should face the rest of the newsroom. Not only do I feel like I'm being rude by having my back to everyone, but I hate the (paranoid) idea that people are watching me over my shoulder. I also feel that one reason I've not really bonded with other people who work in the newsroom is because of this.

  • SAFRAN: Good Lord, I couldn't agree more. I believe this was a design flaw from Day One. It has a number of problems, not the least of which is that our backs face the newsroom. It also results in me ripping a ton of wires when I spin around. (Which engineering then gets mad at me for, again.) I have wanted this change since 2000. We are in budget talks right now, so maybe I can see if we can squeeze this in. We're not talking about a ton of money here. Right on.

  • Why is the web center higher up than the rest of the desks? It feels special but it also feels weird for some reason.

  • SAFRAN: Better explanation for this one: in addition to being a workspace, it's also a set. It needs to be elevated slightly because the robo cameras can't tilt down all the way to the floor. You see the problem when we have the pet segment. Plus, I like putting you on a pedestal... {Aww.....so sweet of you}.

  • I'm learning to be OK with sharing the space with three other people, especially since the four of us are not generally there at the same time, but drawers would be nice. We could each get one drawer to leave personal stuff in.
    SAFRAN: Agreed. I am moving to my own desk (after five years) shortly and that will free up the cabinet. One drawer per producer it is! Woo hoo! {But I'll miss your witty banter}.



  • Post pictures of all the employees (minus freelancers?) like you do with the interns. It will be easier for new people, such as myself, to identify who's who. Since starting I've met many people and only remember about a dozen names, if that many. I tend to have no idea who my producer is for each time period of GML. And not a clue who the lady at the assignment desk is (I know she's the assignment editor, but I have no idea what her name is). I feel weird not knowing who my co-workers are. I don't want to 'assign' someone a name because I think that they look like a 'Fred' or 'Bob' and have their real name turn out to be 'Peter'.

  • SAFRAN:Front Desk Guy was working on a "face book" for us. Seems quite sensible we should have a copy. I will follow up with him. When it comes to remembering names, I'm the worst. Why do you think I give so many nicknames?

  • On a similar note, does everyone there have AIM? I don't know anyone's name, much less their AIM screen name. This might make work a more productive and friendlier place.

  • SAFRAN: AIM use is haphazard. It's not mandatory at work, yet most people use it. AIM gives our IT guy fits because of its many security flaws. He has even threatened to turn it off. Everyone in the web has AIM - I'll give you those names.



  • Smaller headphones. I hate the behemoth pair I have to use everyday. That is the kind of thing that should go on the company's budget, not mine. Wireless headphone would be even better (see above about ripping out wires).
    SAFRAN: Oooh, I like the big headphones. Good sound and they make me feel like I'm in a professional recording studio. Still, I have a few smaller pairs knocking around and I'll be happy to give you a set. PS: You have a budget? {No, I do not have a budget anymore. It has been eaten up by the cost of gas}.



  • Have written directions as to where everything goes on the website. Sometimes I'm confused in the morning about whether everything I have to do should be posted on the GML page or New England page or where? There should be a definitive list of what goes where.

    SAFRAN: Absolutely right. Editor Woman has done some of that - let me see if I can't pull it all together. Not fair to throw someone in the middle of this without some guidelines.

  • The TV food show newsletter. I don't understand why the producer doesn't just email the copy straight to ____.com and let a web person there cut and paste. I think that too many cooks in the kitchen....
    SAFRAN: Another one of those "bane of my existence" issues. {How many of these are there?} Has been for two years. You're right - we should streamline the process. I will talk with our partners. Ironic that a food show newsletter should have "too many cooks." And in answer to your question below, there wasn't anything that sparked the rant in particular. I think I may have overheard someone kvetching about something and thought "I wonder why he simply doesn't bring that up?" Good suggestions, Lyss. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mad Munkey said...

No idea why, but this is damn funny tonight. Nice.

p.s. Word Verification sux.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home