Saturday, October 01, 2005

News is....

...more emotionally exhausting than I ever imagined. Sure I worked in the newsroom at the last station when they needed help, but those were usually in times of undue stress (blizzard, Election Night, etc...). Maybe my opinion/experience so far has been colored by what has gone on in the world since I began my new job- the Gaza Pullout, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita....

My opinions about what I do and what others who work in news (any kind- newspaper, TV, etc..) do. I am beginning to feel more proud of my job because it enables me to do something to help disseminate information- info that might help someone in a time of need or even just make them laugh when they're having a bad day. This does not mean that I am going to take myself too seriously and start having some sort of ego trip because I am the gatekeeper of some information. But at the end of the day it makes me feel better that I've done my (small) part in the very selfish society that we live in.





SAFRAN: I'm in it for the beer. There is nothing selfish about seeing yourself as a "gatekeeper of information." In fact, I kind of like that analysis. There's a slightly more cynical version of that you will hear around newsrooms, and that is "News is what I say it is." The best that you can do is distill. There is more information out there than ever. And it's up to us to decide what people care about most, what affects their lives most, and what they will enjoy most. Journalism is suffering from a lack of pride; add to the much-needed confidence and you'll feel even more rewarded. Remember: the hardest news days are the slow ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home